Monday, March 16, 2009

How to Discover Tones...


After leaving my kids alone with the glasses and the water for a good 10 minutes, then sitting QUIETLY and observing... for another 20 or so; Callie says to me, "Hey, the smaller water makes the higher noise and the higher water makes the lower noise". Children need not be taught. They need the environment to learn... and they need to be left alone... guided when WANTED and free to experience all that is around them. How many adults do you know (ask yourself first) that know which would make the higher pitch?!

This was SOOOOO fun! I was in heaven. Mariah was learning her dexterity, balance (how to pour and how to spill) while Callie was discovering a whole slough of physics. The non-verbal questions she asked herself were: "If I put the spoon in the cup and make the water rise higher, will the pitch go lower?", and "If I put a paper towel in the cup, will it mute the pitch in the way the spoon just did", and "can I get ALL my cups to be the same pitch?" and "what happens if my cups are touching" and "why don't they ring the same when they touch" and etc. etc. etc. How awe inspiring. I just ordered a new AMAZING book. It is hot off the press and being pre-ordered right now... check it out. Already bought mine... http://www.amazon.com/Making-Musical-Instruments-Kids-Projects/dp/1884365485/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237255980&sr=8-1
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I'm going to try this one tonight.

    ReplyDelete