Wednesday, February 4, 2009

How to Make a Restaurant





So, I read about this idea in the Thomas Jefferson Leadership Education book. Fabulous. Simply Fabulous. I made up a menu, which will be laminated shortly, and played waitress for my kids at lunch. I tied an apron around my waist, grabbed a notebook, a pencil behind my ear, handed them 50 cents worth of play money... and even though Norah was in my arms, proceeded as follows:

"Welcome to the Storm Cloud Cafe!
"Here are your menus...
"Can I start you off with a complimentary appetizer?"

They looked a little stunned then said, "sure".

I proceeded to make a smiley face on a plate out of cherry tomatoes and carrots. "We call this our happy treat. Enjoy!" (BY THE WAY... this is the best and only way to get their veggies in at lunch time)

"I NO LY GARROTS!"- Mariah (I don't like carrots) ofcourse.... screaming

I ignored and proceeded on as she stuffed her face with tomatoes.

Then, I explained the menu. I told them they may select one of each course, and showed them the item's cost. At the bottom, they had a choice of 'beverages'. You may have water, FREE of charge, milk for 5 cents. (if you save up your milk money for three days and have just water... then on the 3rd day, you get chocolate milk!)

Callie ordered a heart shaped PB&J, tomato chips, yogurt and Water. Mariah ordered a quesadilla, tortilla chips, yogurt and water. Each finished most of their meal. Both "got it". 'If I save my nickle... I'll get chocolate milk'.

It was fantastic how fun it was. And, to top it off... I carried their dishes to the sink FOR them. :) Usually, that's their job.

We will do this every day... teaching the difference in dimes, nickles and quarters... and SAVING your money.... with an added bonus of restaurant manners. Burdensome... NO... actually much more fun for mommy. I built the menu after things always in our cupboards... and easy to make.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: