Tuesday, February 24, 2009

How to Relive Your Childhood




NOT through your kids... WITH them. We all hear stories of the casually depressive parents who feel like they should re-live thier lives; all the frills, glory days and moments of their own lives; through their children. How sad. It's like there is a subconscious belief that all humans are alike and are endowed with the same gifts, interests, opinions, likes and dislikes. How untrue this is! Each child is unique. So, what if there is something you LOVED about your childhood and you want your kids to have it too? Bad idea? No, I don't think so. So long as it is not forced upon them. The other day I grabbed some of Callie's ponies, and reminiscing of my days lying in the moss and rockery of my backyard with my Sylvanian friends, I began to play. My world was gigantic to my Sylvanian friends, and I loved escaping into their miniature version, which from a bird's eye view was so enchanting. So, I (ME, not them) escaped back into my childhood for a day. ME, not them. Ofcourse, they followed. But, whoever came up with the subtle messages that adults can't play was a nincompoop. Nothing could be more therapeutic. Mom's (myself included) are always so concerned about what they can teach their kids. I assert that rather mom's should NOT be concerned for a minute over that. If a mother is living right, learning herself, exploring herself and loving life... the children will learn by example. Society does not teach this. Society teaches that the only way to learn something is through force, coercion or manipulation. This is a fallacy that unfortunately takes a lot of the joy and peace and freedom from our lives. Message for the day: Play what YOU want to play mom's... craft what YOU want to craft mom's... read what YOU want to read mom's... and the kids... may... too.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment